Wednesday, January 7, 2009

First Day of Wallowa

Our first day of the Wallowa project consisted of an overview of the many parts of pieces of this project, clearly well mapped out by Don. The project looks like it will be in three stages, Call Out, Lost (I think) and Recovery.

My first impressions were... "Dear God what the hell is going on???" I'm learning that I will need to be patient with this process. There are more questions than answers.

We worked on improving a scene in which the couple tries to separate. I was impressed by how complicated we all made it. So much conflict! And then when we were finally sick of it, Laura said, Maybe they just separated. Maybe it wasn't a big deal. Which leads me to believe that we will need to get a lot out of our systems in order to find the specific. Those choice few words that say everything.

Our assignment for Thursday is to recall a story about when we were lost at some point in our life. I can't recall a time I was lost and wonder if my memory has blocked those memories out or at least those feelings. The feeling of being lost is such a scarey one. This project will tap into my deepest fear of being alone and being lost. It's primal. When I hike, I never leave the trail. I have hiked with ex-boyfriends who have wanted to leave the trail and I've fought tooth and nail to make them stay on it or simply refused to go along with them. I instinctively take inventory of where I am all the time, especially when I travel. So how do I find this place? How do I tap into something I fear most?

I particularly liked the movement exercises. Don is forcing us to take time to work together in movement. They start with a "follow the leader" component but then take on a life of their own and I find that brings out the other senses. The ones we don't rely on as much.

No comments: